Pizza + Salad = Pizz'alad. This Pizz'alad was inspired by the Italian caprese salad made from fresh basil, mozzarella, and tomato.
- 1 bag of pre-made pizza dough (I use Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (I used Dorot frozen minced garlic from Trader Joe's)
- 1 large tomato, very thinly sliced
- 5 thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups arugula, trimmed if necessary
- 1 cup torn fresh basil
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 500F.
- Roll out pizza dough and knead. Transfer dough to cookie sheet or large pan and spread evenly.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of minced garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and then brush onto the pizza dough crust.
- Add a few basil leaves on top of the olive oil/garlic mixture, and then cover the leaves with tomato and mozzarella (Note: basil should be under the tomatoes and mozzarella slices to prevent them from burning)
- Place pizza into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until mozzarella cheese starts to bubble.
- While pizza is cooking, combine 2 cups of arugula with 1-2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.
- Remove pizza from oven, let cool, and then top with salad!
Recipe courtesy of EatingWell.